[svlug] ssh to win98

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Nov 29 10:07:57 PST 2003

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, dfox wrote:

> Somebody scribbled about [svlug] ssh to win98
> >This shows me that the system is working at least inside Linux.
> >
> >	The next step is to try and ssh to the win98 computer. I do that
> >with this command on Linux and get:
> >
> >[karl at bucket karl]$ ssh 192.168.0.101
> >ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.101 port 22: Connection refused
> >[karl at bucket karl]$
> >
> >	This result makes me think that I need to set up windows to accept a
> >ssh from the Linux. Does anyone know if version 98 will work with ssh?
> > What besides the usual Internet setup is needed?
>
> You'd need an addon ssh deamon for Windows. There have been some replies
> in the other thread on this subject, but as i recognize you want to be
> able to ssh to Windows from Linux, I'm not so sure as to why you'd want
> to. Is your interest mainly in file transfers or do you want a
> command.com shell of your Windows system on your Linux one? (i.e, remote
> admin or something similar). sshd's may be pricey - $249 for vshell, one
> of the choices shown from a google "sshd +windows" query. Cygwin seems to
> have one (free) but I've not tried it. I did get a Cygwin on my brother's
> windows box as working with Windows in native mode is not very
> friendly :).
>
> As I pointed out in my recent messages on the other related subject, it
> would seem preferable to use scp (in putty, pscp) to transfer files from
> the Linux box to the windows one. (Or set up proftpd on the Linux side -
> and use ftp on the windows side -- that of course makes for insecure
> transfers, though.)

	It might make sense to forget ssh and just try and get a ftp
server going on my linux. I got a software device that you used from
Netscape that set up ftp in Red Hat 8. It didn't come with the software
but I got it somewhere. I guess since everything is set up on this red
hat 9 I should just need to set it up. I know from experiance that
windows 98 from a dos window can call and ftp server and then do what it
wants to.

	So will work this way and see if I can get it set back up.