[svlug] ssh to win98

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat Nov 29 20:05:28 PST 2003

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:37:17 -0800
dfox  <dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com> wrote:

> Install proftpd.

I generally recommend muddleftpd instead for both anonymous and
authenticated FTP.  It is smaller, less complex, has a cleaner security
history, and has a quite beautiful configuration.

> It's not that complicated, and it should be there in RedHat 9.

I don't know the availability of muddleftpd under RH.  Under Debian it
is apt-gettable.

> I would recommend against setting up anonymous ftp. I was a victim of
> someone recently with that - bizarre. (Not specifically bizarre in
> that I had anonymous ftp, but bizarre in the types of files that were
> uploaded - a large number of "RANDOMIZE" type files under random
> multiple levels of directories, with names like "1.909220428905E12" or
> something.

Sounds like an attempt on one of the not-so-recent `locate` bugs?

ObNote: This sort of thing can be controlled under muddleftpd.

--
J C Lawrence