[svlug] imap servers that support mbox

Rick Schultz bloodyvikings at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 21 16:05:23 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:16:48PM -0500, J C Lawrence wrote:
> Cyrus uses a variation on MH folders for the mail spool: one file per
> message, file contents are plain text.  This makes the mail spool very
> easy to browse using something like `mc`.  Recommended.

Who owns these spool directories?  The user, or imapd's user?  (i.e.,
easy to browse for whom?).

> > Is anyone using any imap servers that they like which support mbox?
> mbox scales so poorly I gave up on it years ago.

Yeah, I'm slowly getting the impression most everyone has.

Can Cyrus be set up to allow any type of passwordless authentication (be
it via ssh keys, trusted host lists, or whatever) ?  I'm looking for
something that could be used, say, with mutt's tunnel or pine's
ssh-command.  (I fully expect a barrage of replies telling me I don't
really want to do that, but I don't think I want to type my password
over and over again either).

thanks,
rick