[svlug] My desktop machine is Tango Uniform

Larry Colen lrclug at red4est.com
Wed Nov 19 16:41:52 PST 2003

I realize that this a more or less a FAQ issue, but the answers keep
changing. Unfortunately I don't have lots of time for shopping around.
I'll probably just head up to Central Computer after work.

My Desktop Linux Box just went Tango Uniform.

I'd like to be able to reuse my:
case
G450 dual head video card
266 DDR ram (2 512M sticks)
IDE (ata or whatever it's called this week) hard drives

Any reccomendations on Motherboards or CPUs (for or against) which
work well with Linux? I'm not looking for cutting edge performance,
the only games I tend to play are gcc and emacs.

I'll probably want to use USB printer, scanner, mouse.

I'll also want to be able to use jpilot to sync with my kyocera 7135
palm phone. It currently works using the serial port, though it also
has a USB attachment.

I've got a SCSI cd writer that I've never gotten working, and a slower
IDE CDROM. I'm tempted to get an atapi CD/DVD reader/writer unit. Any
reccomendations here?

My camcorder has 1394 i/o, and it would be nifty if I could talk to
this with Linux, but I have both Doze and Mac boxes that will.

Sound would also be nice. I don't know if any on motherboard units
work under Linux.

Reply offlist so as not to bore the masses.

thanks.
   Larry

--
The problem with the golden rule is that most people don't want to be
treated the way I do.