[svlug] imap servers that support mbox

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Nov 19 15:21:21 PST 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:01:14 -0800
Erik Steffl <steffl at bigfoot.com> wrote:

> cyrus works fairly well but it's pretty hard to configure
> (authentification) and debug cofiguration (it has fairly good docs and
> helpful mailing list).

I'll partially argue with this.

Cyrus authentication (SASL) is a pain if you try and fight it.  It
really is a question of the system working its damnedest to Do The Right
Thing, and the SysAdm fight (every single time I've seen it, which is a
fair few) being a case of rabid insistence that SASL is not in fact
doing what they want, when it is (a case of non-functioning violent
agreement).  Happily using the Debian packages and some simple reading
of the documentation combined with doing *EXACTLY* what they say will
get you a working productive Cyrus/SASL implementation in single digit
minutes almost every time.

--
J C Lawrence