[svlug] ssh and windows

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 16 17:41:27 PST 2003

on Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 01:39:08PM -0500, J C Lawrence (claw at kanga.nu) wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 10:33:37 -0800 (PST)
> David E Fox <dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Karl - I seriously doubt ssh is doable on windows - that is if you
> > mean using Windows as an ssh *server*.
>
> Cygwin has an sshd which works fairly well, well, as well as can be
> expected.

Note that there are some caveats, mostly concerning security, and which
are reasonably well publicized though apparently not undertood by naive
users as may be the case here.

Specifically:  if you're relying on Cygwin to provide the robust,
high-level security on legacy MS Windows via Cygwin as you rightly
expect under GNU/Linux, you're going to be disappointed.  Cygwin's DLL
model means that there is a single shared memory space shared by all
processes and users.  So while the network side of your connection is
well protected, the system-side on the legacy MS Windows box itself is
not.  In many cases this isn't a major issue, in high-security
environments it's likely not acceptable.

The situation on Win98 as Karl is attempting is worse by the lack of any
security model for this overreaching DOS shell.

I'll also strongly recommend Mike Erdely's Cygwin SSHD configuration /
setup pages for anyone who's trying to set up sshd under Cygwin.  First
Google result for 'sshd cygwin', at:

    http://tech.erdelynet.com/cygwin-sshd.html

Peace.

   Support the EFF, they support you:  http://www.eff.org/