[svlug] ssh to win98

Akbar S. Ahmed akbar501 at dslextreme.com
Sun Nov 16 14:39:29 PST 2003

Karl Larsen wrote:
<snip>
> 	Linux=192.168.0.100
> 	win98=192.168.0.101

<snip>
> [karl at bucket karl]$ ssh 192.168.0.101
> ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.101 port 22: Connection refused
> [karl at bucket karl]$
>
> 	This result makes me think that I need to set up windows to accept a
> ssh from the Linux. Does anyone know if version 98 will work with ssh? What
> besides the usual Internet setup is needed?

Yes, you do need to setup Windows to accept an incoming ssh request. You
  will need sshd, or equivalent, running on the Windows box.

The free way to do this is to use cygwin + sshd. There are good
instructions here:

http://tech.erdelynet.com/cygwin-sshd.html

If you want a commercial ssh server for Windows, then Van Dyke offers one:

http://www.vandyke.com/products/vshell/

Thanks,
Akbar