[svlug] ssh to win98

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Nov 16 14:30:52 PST 2003

	I have two computers on my desk. One has Red Hat 9 and the other has
Windows 98 second edition. Red Hat 9 has the demon sshd running. The two
computers are connected via a router and both have ethernet devices. The IP
numbers used are:

	Linux=192.168.0.100
	win98=192.168.0.101

	The first step was to ping Linux from win98 and win98 from Linux and
both worked without any errors.

	The second step was to connect to my own Linux with ssh. I did this
and got connected as shown:

[karl at bucket karl]$ ssh 192.168.0.100
karl at 192.168.0.100's password:
[karl at bucket karl]$

The last {karl at bucket karl}$ is the ssh'ed data. If I drop out of ssh with
an exit it looks like this:

Connection to 192.168.0.100 closed.
[karl at bucket karl]$

This shows me that the system is working at least inside Linux.

	The next step is to try and ssh to the win98 computer. I do that
with this command on Linux and get:

[karl at bucket karl]$ ssh 192.168.0.101
ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.101 port 22: Connection refused
[karl at bucket karl]$

	This result makes me think that I need to set up windows to accept a
ssh from the Linux. Does anyone know if version 98 will work with ssh? What
besides the usual Internet setup is needed?

	I hope this is clear. Answers to my first message thought I wanted
to ssh from win98 TO Linux. That is not the case.