[svlug] nameserver 0.0.0.2

Mark Nakamura masayang at nri.com
Fri Nov 14 15:20:00 PST 2003

I'm staying Hotel Nikko Osaka Japan, where the hotel offers free 50Mbps VDSL line! (I don't know what V means...)

My laptop worked without any problem on this network when I booted from WindowsXP, however, it didn't work from Linux.

Few minutes later, I found the reason.

The DHCP server of this network replys 0.0.0.2 for the name server!

It looks like connect() on Linux returns error when I specify 0.0.0.2 for IP address. No wonder the bind program can't connect to DNS. Then...why Windows works with this configuration??

Is this IP address legal? Which implementation is correct, Linux or Windows?

Mark

P.S. I edited /etc/resolv.conf so that it points another DNS and my laptop worked fine from Linux:-)