[svlug] Debian and Red Hat

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Nov 12 20:58:00 PST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Joe Buck wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 07:47:09PM -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> > 	Well been experimenting with the "stable" version of Debian and
> > it has kernel 2.2.20. I'm using Red Hat 9 and the kernel is 2.4.27 and I
> > can put in an even newer one if there is a reason to do so.

	That is an error by me. dmesg says:

Linux version 2.4.20-6custom (root at bucket.dog)

and the custom has to do with the addition of some Amateur Radio
functions which I made modules. But at least it's a 2.4.x kernel.

> Red Hat's kernels are not Linus kernels; they contain some features
> backported from 2.6-test, plus others developed by Red Hat.  So no,
> Red Hat 9 does not contain 2.4.27, it has 2.4.27 plus dozens of patches.

	It will be 2.4.20. I will argue that Red Hat has no "special
patches" in their kernels. Since I'm a Ham I often make a custom kernel
to get some things I want like sound card devices. On RH 8 I needed
2.4.19 for a particular Ham thing so I went to kernel.org and got the
kernel package, all of it, about 25 megbytes. I did the trick with the
current kernel that writes a config file of the current kernel. Then I
configured the new kernel tree with the new non-redhat kernel and
compiled and made many modules and put the right stuff in /boot and grub
and the new kernel came up just fine. Red Hat worked just as it had
before. That is why I think Red Hat uses Linus's kernels.

> > 	But if I was running a business with my computer I would put Red
> > Hat 9 on it and go. Be sure to get the latest upgrades and then just
> > stay with it.
>
> Unfortunately Red Hat will stop doing upgrades (including security upgrades)
> in April.  However, it's possible that some user organization will decide
> to get together and provide security upgrades if needed.

	Joe, what do you mean by security upgrades? Are you talking
about internet attacks or someone in my company doing harm? I use the
internet and have had the same IP number for months on my DSL modum. I
have a router right after the modem and it's kept me from even one
attack.

	The main thing differnet if this was a business would be backup
capability. I would have cron doing hourly backups to another computer
in another building. And likely another computer in this building at the
same time. And I would take the root password off the monitor...:-)

> > If Red Hat decides to stop supporting it it's nothing new
> > to me.
>
> Actually, it is new to you ... up to now, you've assumed that if a new
> buffer overflow is found, Red Hat will quickly put out a security patch.
> This is going away.

	I don't seem to have any problem with red hat software. Open
Office says it's going to print my Excel spread sheet long ways but it
always prints it portrit. Not a Red Hat problem.

	I know old retired collage proffs who are still using Red Hat
5.2 and just upgrading as needed the kernel and GCC.

	A good friend who really knows Linux told me he would not ever
ask his worst enemy to use Red Hat 8. I was using it and after a few
fixes it was doing fine, but took the advise and loaded 9. It has been a
lot better. I did have trouble with G++ but discovered I have the new
1995 version which IS better. So in all I will not be too upset when Red
Hat stops making Red Hat 9.