[svlug] Red Hat and the ISVs?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Nov 12 15:24:55 PST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:17:56 -0800
Joe Buck <jbuck at synopsys.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 07:19:17PM -0500, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> This is still partially true.  Debian now effectively has multiple
>> tracks.  /stable is changes fairly glacially, mostly via security
>> fixes, with infrequent but mass updates.  /testing changes fairly
>> constantly, very infrequently breaks (and never seriously in my
>> experience) but almost never has the mass package update madness of
>> stable.  /unstable is churn city, breaks occasionally but is right on
>> the bleeding edge.  /experimental is pretty much /unstable but worse.

> Even unstable tends to lag other distros for some things (X in
> particular).

The bleeding edge X stuff is in /experimental.  I'm running it on the
box I'm typing on now.

>> To a large extent the Toy Story names just don't matter any more.
>> They're just the names of /stable as of a particular time.  In the
>> general case you'll want to track one of /stable, /testing, or
>> /unstable.

> It still matters; there are people who won't want to dump working
> woody systems just because sarge has been declared to be stable.

True, but that's largely the difference between upgrade and
dist-upgrade.  They also have the option at that point to drop their
/tag back a level.

>> Which is why I usually track /testing: Its essentially /unstable with
>> just enough testing to be generally trustworthy.  Essentially the
>> tags just form dynamic levels of trust.

> Unfortunately, because of the way testing is run, systems consisting
> of a large interrelated collection of packages (e.g. Gnome) tend to be
> rather incoherent.  Testing currently has an odd mixture of Gnome 1.4,
> Gnome 2.0, Gnome 2.2 and Gnome 2.4 (mainly 2.2 at the moment) and
> there's a bit of breakage because of this.  Simple packages migrate
> quickly from unstable to testing, but interdependent collections of
> packages have more trouble.  That's not to knock it; it's a good idea
> but it's not perfect.

<nod>

I'm not a gnome (or KDE) user, so I can't comment there (FVWM2).
However I've hit that particular landmine with the GCC v3 ABI changes,
and a few other convoluted package sets.  It can hurt, but as you say it
works surprisingly well.

--
J C Lawrence