[svlug] printing on usb Brother HL-1440 with hl1250.ppd

Walt Reed svlug at linuxguy.com
Wed Nov 12 08:28:57 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 11:06:38AM -0500, George Georgalis said:
> Have not configured a usb printer before and having some trouble,
> partly from not having an understanding of how the process works.
>
> I've gotten some info from these pages:
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/brother-faq.html#free_software_support
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/cups-doc.html
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Brother-HL-1440
>
> and tried various debian packages to help me set it up and run lpd...
> I think this printcap file will work...

First, make sure the printer usb module is loaded (or compiled in).

I personally use cups, which you configure through the web interface
(localhost:631) and it works dandy. I did manually install the brother
PPD file that I grabbed from the Windows driver set by copying it into
the appropriate directory.

I have a HL-1270N, so I normally use ethernet, but I have made the usb
port work with cups too (and use USB for my epson color printer.)