[svlug] printing on usb Brother HL-1440 with hl1250.ppd

George Georgalis list-svlug-sender-19fa62 at lists.galis.org
Wed Nov 12 08:06:38 PST 2003

Have not configured a usb printer before and having some trouble,
partly from not having an understanding of how the process works.

I've gotten some info from these pages:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/brother-faq.html#free_software_support
http://www.linuxprinting.org/cups-doc.html
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Brother-HL-1440

and tried various debian packages to help me set it up and run lpd...
I think this printcap file will work...

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL ljet4 600x600 letter {} BrotherHL-1250 Default {}
lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :lp=/dev/usb/lp0:\
        :if=/usr/lib/printfilters/master-filter:\
        :PAPERSIZE=letter:\
        :DESIRED_TO=ps:\
        :PRINTER_TYPE=LOCAL:\
        :ASCII_TO_PS=YES:\
        :GSDEVICE=ljet4:\
        :RESOLUTION=600x600:\
        :PS_SEND_EOF=NO:\
        :NUP=1:\
        :RTLFTMAR=18:\
        :TOPBOTMAR=18:\
        :TEXT_SEND_EOF=NO:

I normally use the parallel port and the debian lpr package to get a
functional "lp0" but doesn't seem so simple with usb...

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 646-331-2027    <IXOYE><
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george at galis.org
Multimedia, DB, DNS and Metrics.       http://www.galis.org/george