[svlug] Redhat reboot weekly

John McDonnell svlug_spam at johnmc.org
Mon Nov 10 19:28:19 PST 2003

On the 10th day of November, Webb Sprague said to me:

> RH 9 machine reboots every Sunday at 4:00 am, but we can't find out why.

Is it 4:00 exactly or 4:22?

Red Hat's cron.* are set by default as follows:

01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
22 4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
42 4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly

So, around 4am on a Sunday is when cron.weekly gets run. I would wager
little gold effigees of Sacagawea against Krispy Kremes that this is where
your problem lies.

Check out the scripties in /etc/cron.weekly and run them manually. This
will most likely turn up your culprit.

johnmc.
--
 . johnmc@ | bucketchild.net - +1-707-237-5271 (home) .