[svlug] Redhat reboot weekly

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Mon Nov 10 18:12:54 PST 2003

>From: Webb Sprague <wsprague100 at yahoo.com>
>I found one newsgroup thing about this on google, but that is the only
>one, it is 4 years old. So...
>
>RH 9 machine reboots every Sunday at 4:00 am, but we can't find out
>why.  Looked through logs and grepped for shutdown in /etc, to no
>avail.

I saw that others already suggested checking /etc/cron*, which is the
best first advice.

In the interests of considering all possibilities, since you didn't
provide any info about your hardware, we can't rule it out.  It could
be that something being run from cron is overloading the system and
indirectly causing a hardware shutdown.  I had a problem this Summer
with a new Athlon processor and an old power supply (which was
officially rated at enough power but probably no longer delivering
what it was rated for) that resulted in what seemed to be random
reboots.  An inspection of the logs showed that the system was very
busy when each reboot occurred.  With a new power supply and some
extra fans just to be safe, the problem went away.