[svlug] Red Hat and the ISVs?

Craig Oda craigoda at communitybuilders.info
Mon Nov 10 15:47:51 PST 2003

When I used to use Debian, I remember there were clearly defined
releases and the releases were spaced far apart.  So, if I was using
something like woody, I could use it a long time and get the packages
that everyone else was using.  From the Red Hat site when they describe
Fedora as:

"Bleeding edge technology released early and often"

This doesn't seem to be the description of something I would want to use
as a "productive" workstation.  The site further goes on to say that the
release interval is 4-6 months.

I don't mind updating individual applications fairly regularly.

This said, I'll most likely update to Fedora soon and see how it goes.
But, I'll be considering alternatives.  And, with the support of Novell,
I'll really take another look at SuSE.  This might be the way to go.

I'm interested in hearing opinions.  Feel free to send me email directly.

-- Craig