[svlug] Red Hat and the ISVs?

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Mon Nov 10 13:00:57 PST 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:31:40 -0800 (PST)
John McDonnell <svlug_spam at johnmc.org> wrote:

> On the 10th day of November, Craig Oda said to me:
>
> > So, if the only way to get RHEL is to buy it, I feel they will go
> > for another distribution (such as Debian).
>
> Why do you think they'll go for Debian over Fedora? What does Debian
> have to offer in an enterprise environment that Fedora does not?

More serious commitment to user needs.

http://fedora.redhat.com/about/faq/

Q: What is the errata policy for The Fedora Project?
A: Security updates, bugfix updates, and new feature updates will all
be available, through Red Hat and third parties. Updates may be staged
(first made available for public qualification, then later for general
consumption) when appropriate. In drastic cases, we may remove a
package from The Fedora Project if we judge that a necessary security
update is too problematic/disruptive to the larger goals of the
project. Availability of updates should not be misconstrued as support
for anything other than continued development and innovation of the
code base.

Red Hat will not be providing an SLA (Service Level Agreement) for
resolution times for updates for The Fedora Project. Security updates
will take priority. For packages maintained by external parties, Red
Hat may respond to security holes by deprecating packages if the
external maintainers do not provide updates in a reasonable time.
Users who want support, or maintenance according to an SLA, may
purchase the appropriate Red Hat Enterprise Linux product for their
use.

http://www.debian.org/social_contract
#

Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software

We will be guided by the needs of our users and the free-software
community. We will place their interests first in our priorities. We
will support the needs of our users for operation in many different
kinds of computing environment. We won't object to commercial software
that is intended to run on Debian systems, and we'll allow others to
create value-added distributions containing both Debian and commercial
software, without any fee from us. To support these goals, we will
provide an integrated system of high-quality, 100% free software, with
no legal restrictions that would prevent these kinds of use.