[svlug] Red Hat and the ISVs?

Craig Oda craigoda at communitybuilders.info
Mon Nov 10 12:02:26 PST 2003

So, this is the core of my question...

 From the information that Don provided and what I can gleam from Red
Hat's web site, I'm starting to think that small ISVs will have to pay
money to get a hold of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
  Scenario 1) Imagine that I'm a small server-side Linux software
startup with about 12 people in the company.  Cash is tight.  I want to
download the server from the Internet and not pay.  However, I can't do
this right?  Or, can I?   I don't feel that the target market I'm
selling to will pay for the Linux OS (for example HPC or hosting
markets).  So, if the only way to get RHEL is to buy it, I feel they
will go for another distribution (such as Debian).
  Scenario 2) I want to run a Linux workstation at home for all the
usual reasons of fun and excitement, plus get some office work done at
home.  I can't download RHEL WS 3 and avoid paying the $179 can I?   I
plan to rely on Linux community for support and don't need commecial support

If there is a FAQ for this somewhere, please let me know.  I'm curious
as to the impact that Red Hat's new strategy will have on small ISVs.
Two angles - cost and total available market...

regards,
Craig