[svlug] Red Hat and the ISVs?

David Chait davidc at bonair.stanford.edu
Mon Nov 10 10:02:04 PST 2003

> Personally, I can see similar drawbacks to using Debian. There is no
> official commercial support available from the vendor. Let's do a little
> comparison chart, shall we?
>
> If I have any of this wrong, let me know.

The major difference is the slower release cycle for Debian, and the lack of
"bleeding edge" technology. Hence I would rate it as more stable than
Fedora. Though you are correct in saying commercial vendor support is
limited, for both in this case. IMPO run RHEL WS for all of your servers
requiring commercial app support (There is no real tech difference between
WS/ES and the price is significantly better). And then pick your favorite
distro for those machines which don't require commercial software support,
such as mail/web/etc...