[svlug] Red Hat and the ISVs?

Walt Reed svlug at linuxguy.com
Mon Nov 10 09:48:36 PST 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 08:29:58AM -0800, Don Marti said:
> begin Craig Oda quotation of Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 07:54:05AM -0800:
>
> > so,  I imagine that ISVs will be using Red Hat Enterprise Linux as their
> > base?
>
> Yes, for more than a year the handwriting has been on the
> wall that you do _not_ want to port proprietary software to
> the low-end Red Hat distributions.  Red Hat admitted their
> original release cycle was too flaky for the ISVs.
<snip>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6123
>
> > What's the real scoop on Red Hat and the ISVs?
>
> Something like, "If you have a budget for proprietary
> application software, you probably have a budget for the
> OS too."  Makes sense for Red Hat not to pass up the chance
> to get a piece of the pie.

So if you are looking at something like Oracle, then RHEL is a
no-brainer, but when you are looking at smaller applications, like
crossover office or VMWare (desktop, not server), I think things are a
little more iffy.

If I'm a small-time developer supporting multiple distros, it would get
expensive if everyone did what RH is doing. If I want to create a
package for itanium or AMD64, now I need the $2,000 version of RHEL.

I don't know.... While this is a good thing for large ISV's and larger
businesses, it's not so good for non-profits, small businesses, and
smaller developers.