[svlug] Red Hat and the ISVs?

Craig Oda craigoda at communitybuilders.info
Mon Nov 10 09:14:56 PST 2003

J C Lawrence and Don Marti,
thanks for the information.

I'm not surprised by the information on RHEL that Red Hat is dishing
out.  They run a business, fair enough.

I was wondering more about how the public is going to perceive ISV's
that have products ported to Red Hat 7, 8, 9.  Afterall, isn't Red Hat 9
much more widely used than RHEL 3?

Other things that make me wonder...  I don't use RHEL (currently use
RH9).  Should I switch to RHEL?

Since the release schedule for RHEL is spaced out, I can't imagine them
moving up to the Linux 2.6 kernel when it is released later this year.
Personally, I would like to use the 2.6.  If for nothing else, the
improved USB support would be nice.

I'm sure that some businesses would want to use the 2.6 kernel.  On the
server side, the improved performance for multi-processor systems and
revamped threading would be nice.

So, if an ISV wants to take advantage of the 2.6 kernel, I guess they
have to embrace Novell's Linux?

What's the skinny on Debian support of the 2.6 kernel?

With what Red Hat is saying about Fedora, I just can't imagine ISV's or
IT managers taking it seriously.  Kind of a bummer for my personal use.
:-(    Maybe it's time to give Debian another look.

Regards,
Craig