[svlug] Red Hat and the ISVs?

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Mon Nov 10 08:29:58 PST 2003

begin Craig Oda quotation of Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 07:54:05AM -0800:

> so,  I imagine that ISVs will be using Red Hat Enterprise Linux as their
> base?

Yes, for more than a year the handwriting has been on the
wall that you do _not_ want to port proprietary software to
the low-end Red Hat distributions.  Red Hat admitted their
original release cycle was too flaky for the ISVs.

  Michael Evans, VP Business Development for Red Hat, said
  that the proprietary software companies wanted a slower,
  more stable, platform to work on. One software vendor might
  support their package on Red Hat 6.2, while another supports
  on 7.1. The problem, Evans pointed out, is what happens when
  one customer wants to run both.

  Evans said the software vendors told him to "stop doing
  this every six months, you're killing us". The result is a
  Red Hat for customers who work on UNIX time--long release
  intervals but short support response times.

> What's the real scoop on Red Hat and the ISVs?

Something like, "If you have a budget for proprietary
application software, you probably have a budget for the
OS too."  Makes sense for Red Hat not to pass up the chance
to get a piece of the pie.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti