[svlug] Red Hat and the ISVs?

Craig Oda craigoda at communitybuilders.info
Mon Nov 10 07:54:05 PST 2003

Greetings,
Is Red Hat Enterprise Linux available for public download?  Personally,
I'm going to continue to use Red Hat 9 and then upgrade to Fedora at
some point.  However, I'm be taking a much closer look at Debian and
SuSE now.  I used to use Debian, but switched several years ago when
there appeared to be more software for Red Hat (my perception, this
isn't my question, so don't flame on this)

My question is that since some companies I work with are ISVs that
ported to Red Hat 7.x, 8.x, or 9, what should they do?  Obviously, from
the Red Hat site,the official position is that the only supported Red
Hat is Red Hat Enterprise Linux and that Red Linux Linux is a dead,
unsupported track.  According to Red Hat, Fedora appears to be somewhat
of a hobbyist or enthusiast toy comprised of "Bleeding edge technology
released early and often."  My gosh, with a tagline like that, no one in
their right mind will be deploying Fedora for production use, unless
they own the company and don't have to worry about getting fired.
Read it from the man, here:   http://www.redhat.com/software/rhelorfedora/

so,  I imagine that ISVs will be using Red Hat Enterprise Linux as their
base?  I just went to the U of Oregon site and couldn't find RHEL for
download.  The primary Red Hat FTP site is busy.  What's the real scoop
on Red Hat and the ISVs?

Regards,
Craig