[svlug] display manager for Debian

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Nov 10 04:01:38 PST 2003

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 23:10:10 -0700
Mike Moore <mimoore_350 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> When I installed X Window system with my Debian Linux system, I chose
> gdm as the default display manager. However gdm doesn' work well on my
> desktop. I want to change the default display manager to kde so that
> the kde will be run whenever I start Debian Linux. Can anyone tell me
> how to achieve the goal? Thanks!

You are confusing display manager and window manager.  They are not the
same thing.  Display managers manage initial authentication and access
to X11 displays for local and remote users.

If you want to change your default window manager you can create your
own .xinitrc with your preferences, tell the display manager to use a
different window manager for you (often there's a menu to pick from), or
move /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager to something else.

--
J C Lawrence