[svlug] sendmail + covad DSL

Fouzi Husaini fouzi at fouzi.com
Sun Nov 9 14:59:18 PST 2003

Robert Hajime Lanning wrote:

><quote who="Fouzi Husaini">
>

>>hi folks,
>>
>>a friend recently was recently forced to switch over from earthlink DSL
>>to covad. I had setup a linux box as the gateway/firewall/mail server
>>for them but ever since the switch over to covad it appears that mail
>>forwarding through mail.covad.net is no longer working. when i try to
>>send an email i get this error in the mailer daemon:
>>

>You are new to Covad, so you have not seen their announcements.
>

>>... while talking to mail.covad.net.:
>><<< 553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA
>>(#5.7.1)
>>

>They nolonger will relay email with sender domains other than the Covad.net
>domain.  Has nothing to do with authentications.
>
>You will need to talk to Covad for other arangements.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are over looked. It didn't even occur
to me that they were just not relaying other domains. The only reason I
had setup sendmail to do relaying was because our previous ISP would not
allow outgoing emails that were not relayed through their SMTP server.
With covad I don't even need to bother with relaying and can make the
linux box send the emails out directly. Problem Solved!!

Thanks for helping to point my brain in the right direction!

--
fouzi