[svlug] What is with labels?

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Nov 8 05:34:55 PST 2003

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Larry Colen wrote:

> I'm trying to upgrade my system and rh9 is spazzing out because I've
> got directory subtrees that are symbolic links to trees on other
> partitions.

	Yes I can see how that would zap the installer.

> For example /usr is a partition and /vault is a partiion but
> /usr/local is a symbolic link to /vault/local (I ran out of space on
> the /usr partition).  I wanted to move /usr from /dev/hda6 to
> /dev/hda11 (which used to be /vault).
>
> I made the changes in /etc/fstab:
> LABEL=/usr           /oldusr                 ext3    defaults        1  2
> LABEL=/vault              /usr                    ext3    defaults   1 2
>
> And that sort of seems to work. It perturbs my sense of aesthetic that
> /oldusr is on /usr and /usr is on /vault.

	Yes this will work but the Red Hat installer doesn't read
/etc/fstab of your old system. So it's not aware of what you did. That
is why you, as a rule do not want to do what you did.

	If a partition gets full root will get mail warning you and you
can take action. What I would do is get another larger hard drive or
another hard drive and move /usr or /home to the new hard drive. That
should solve the problem and the Red Hat installer will see it.