[svlug] Knoppix will not load

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Nov 8 04:50:20 PST 2003

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 09:42:40AM -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> > 	After 5 minutes I tried Ctrl-Alt-F1 and it dropped back to a tty
> > mode and I saw the words "cannot find driver for video card." So it
> > appears that debian does not have a driver for my video card. And that's
> > why nothing works with debian.
>
> Is it a kernel-level driver, or an XFree86 driver?  In either case, it's
> not really fare to blame the Debian distro itself.  It's simply a matter
> of the _version_ of the Kenrel and/or XF86 that's packaged is not able
> to talk to your video card.  Don't shoot the packager. ;^)

	No plans to shoot anyone. As it still appears, the knoppix
cd-rom doesn't have the kernel driver for what Debian calls tdfx. I did
a search using grep of the Woody Contents and found it has the kernel
driver I need as a module.

> My wife's laptop is a Thinkpad T20.  We've got Debian Woody (Stable 3.0)
> on it, and I'm using a newer version of XF86 than what ships with it.
> It was simply a matter of adding a 'source' to APT's config files,
> and then do an upgrade.

	I once years ago tried to upgrade a lib. It was a horrible time
and I asked a thousand questions and never got it right...:-(

> (Okay, I'm sure it was a LITTLE more involved, but it's there, and it's
> working.)
>

> You almost have to think of Debian much in the same way people think
> of Linux.  To most people, "Linux" is more than just the kernel.
> (Much to RMS's annoyance.)
>
> I guess you could think of Debian as more than "just a set of packages
> and an installer," like you would any other Linux distro.
>
> In one sense, it's a frame of mind... a set of guidelines and rules...
> On the other hand, it's core could just be considered dpkg and apt...
> hence the ability to stick KDE 3.2 and XF 4.2 and OpenOffice 1.1 onto
> Debian using packages, and 'stable'-ity be damned.  ;^)
>

> I think I'm rambling. :^)

	Yes you are.

	What I did next was to try to load Debian onto my big computer
again. The reason for trying knoopix was to see if it would find the
setting necassary to load Debian on this computer with a 17 inch LCD.

	So Bill I looked at all that writing that comes up when you
load from the Debian Woody cd-rom 1. I pressed F3 and got a lot of
things to try as kernel commands. On the third try I typed "vinilla" at
the

boot:

and that worked. I came up with a lot of panels and had to answer a lot
of questions, and now Debian is up and running with a very nice X window
at the size I want. Lots to set up yet but I can get to it with grub my
switcher.