[svlug] Knoppix will not load

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Thu Nov 6 08:42:40 PST 2003

	I downloaded the 710 megabyte knoppix software and put it on a
cd-rom. That worked fine. Then I rebooted and came up and knoppix loaded
and I got the linux penquin upper left and it did a lot of setting up
automatically.

	Then it said setting up X windows and a very basic black and
white screen appeard with a large X in the middle. I moved my tracball
but no movement of the X.

	After 5 minutes I tried Ctrl-Alt-F1 and it dropped back to a tty
mode and I saw the words "cannot find driver for video card." So it
appears that debian does not have a driver for my video card. And that's
why nothing works with debian.

	I think I can find the Red Hat rpm for this card and perhaps
from that get the src version that I can compile on debian. But at this
point I'm not sure I care any more. Debian is sure not ready for casual
users. I have been using linux since 1995 and I am having a big problem.