[svlug] Linux + NFS + JBuilder

Ian MacLure ibm1130 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 5 19:54:41 PST 2003

 From Rick Schultz <bloodyvikings at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [svlug] Linux + NFS + JBuilder
On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 11:44:27AM -0800, Ian MacLure wrote:

	[snip]

 > I have a gut feeling this may be a Java issue rather than specific to
 > JBuilder itself.

It shouldn't even be that high up; it sounds more like a pure NFS issue,
but I'm not sure I have all the details straight.
I've used JBuilder in an automounted NFS environment, and everything
works pretty much as you'd expect. Granted, neither RH9 nor Irix were
involved.

	Well, it was worth a shot.
	I had a look at the entire /users hierarchy and there are a
	bunch of subdirectories that suffer from the same problem.

 > When I click on "myhome", the "+" goes away and I get nothing or it
 > shows up as "myhome" ( no "+" ). Only way I can get to files is to
 > enter the fully qualified path, for instance to open the "javathing"
 > project.
 >
 > /users/myhome/TESTING.d/JAVA.d/JavaThing.d/javathing.jpx
How does this compare to what `ls' would show you? (try `ls /users',
`ls /users/myhome', `ls /users/myhome/TESTING.d', etc.) After the
directory is mounted, its contents should show up, i.e., if you make
sure /users/myhome is mounted (with, say, ls or cd), then do Open
File..., TESTING.d and everything below it should show up. Does this
not happen?

	Doesn't seem to matter what I do as far as mount status is
	concerned. By the tiem I get round to pening my project(s)
	after login the /users/myhome hierarchy would have to mounted
	if for no other reason that its my home directory.
	All the "ls" I've tried works although I'm going to have another look
	Thursday ( if my insides have returned to a semblance of normal
	by then ).

	IBM