[svlug] RPM from Gentoo

Kim kim at linuxpuppy.net
Wed Nov 5 18:48:56 PST 2003

On Wednesday 05 November 2003 03:25 pm, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:14:08 -0800

{big snip}

> BTW I saw that on the monitor thread someone mentioned knoppix... it
> seems another promising distro.

Knoppix is basicly a live cd version of debian. Knoppix has pretty good
hardware detection too.

Even though its intended to be run directly from the CD, there is a relativly
painless way to install it permantly to your hard drive. Don't know the
details, I've never done it.

But once its on your hard disk you should be fine using apt-get to install all
the binary packages and there dependancies quite quickly. You might just be
fine if you used the normal debian distro and apt-get too.

I really have very little experiance with debian so there is probably more to
it than that. There seems to be a lot of debian specific docs to read. Or
just grab a copy and try it.

Kim