[svlug] Monitor Problem

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Wed Nov 5 15:23:17 PST 2003

Karl Larsen wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Walt Reed wrote:

>>>	Nothing difficult about this machine. Pentium 4 at 2.3 Gig with
>>>540 meg ram and a 16 meg video card, 2 cd-rom RW and the internet comes
>>>in via network card on the motherboard.
>>
>>Karl: it DOES help when people are trying to troubleshoot if you are
>>able to supply the details. a "16 meg video card" tells us nothing.
>

> 	It is a Voodoo3 2000 by 3dfx which went broke. I had to get the
> linux drivers for this card from a web site and compile them for I think
> Red Hat 7.1 about. Since then Red Hat has had the drivers in the distro.

   that shouldn't be a problem (I used the same card until recently)

   what about other hardware? motherboard? audio? I mean there must be
something strange there since debian install usually works (it's not hte
best install but I haven't heard anybody complaining about freezing
right after start).

   there might be something wrong withCD - ca you try to boot from it on
other compter (not install anything, just boot)

	erik