[svlug] Monitor Problem

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Nov 5 14:12:35 PST 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Erik Steffl wrote:

> Karl Larsen wrote:

> >>   it might be useful to say when exactly the screen goes blank - what
> >>is the last message you see? does it go black while kernel is loading
> >>(the dots right after LILO)? or do you see some messages first (which
> >>one is the last one - that might indicate the problem).
> >

> > 	I never see the LILO prompt. I see writing that says "to install
>
>    sorry, I guess CD does not have LILO prompt
>
> > hit enter". I hit enter and quickly it shows a couple of lines that say
>
>    if it's only a couple of line it looks like kernel problem. You said
> that the redhat worked on the same machine? which kernel version was it
> using?
>
>    what HW do you have? (motherboard, video, audio, network, disks (any
> SATA disks?))

	Nothing difficult about this machine. Pentium 4 at 2.3 Gig with
540 meg ram and a 16 meg video card, 2 cd-rom RW and the internet comes
in via network card on the motherboard.

> >>   still - try knoppix (no need to install it, it runs directly off the
> >>CD), it's basically debian but has fairly good hw autodetection, I think
> >>it has newer kernel than debian stable.

	This was a surprise to me. It is taking 8 hours to get this
cd-rom software so it must be a basic linux system. Kind of cool that it
runs right from the cd-rom.

	I will also d/l the FAQ for knoppix.