[svlug] Red Hat pulls plugs on Red Hat Linux product line

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Wed Nov 5 12:10:32 PST 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:54:51 -0800
Kim <kim at linuxpuppy.net> wrote:

> I havent seen any gentoo equiv of linuxconf with gentoo, but that
> dosent mean there isn't a similar beast.

> If you install gentoo from stage one, by the time you're done I
> doubt you would need a gui tool to config the system. You might want
> to go and grab the gentoo install docs from http://www.gentoo.org
> and read through them to get an idea of what you're getting into.
> (they are long, but very well written)

> But don't expect the install can be done in a day. (maybe it can)
> But my last gentoo install took about a week for me to get
> everything setup and tweaked to my idea of what a PC should be like.

OK suppose I just want to use Gentoo as the "framework" to build up a
binary distro... I remember vaguely there were some tools to make
binary packages.

Is it possible? Reasonable?

I don't want to make a stage3 tar ball. I want rpm/deb alike packages
to place on a CD, with dependencies so I could install a Gentoo distro
on several boxes chosing just the packages I want without the need to
recompile everything. Maybe packages won't be perfectly optimized but
at least I'll know all the libs there are on my box.

> Also, pay extra attention to setting up your USE flags. It's easy to
> waste a lot of time building a botched system if you mess up here.

What do you mean *exactly*?
When I did my experiments with Gentoo there were a lot of - and very
few + in my USE and everything worked fine till that unlucky perl
security update. And I doubt the 2 things were related.