[svlug] Linux + NFS + JBuilder

Rick Schultz bloodyvikings at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 5 12:16:28 PST 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 11:44:27AM -0800, Ian MacLure wrote:
> My understanding of automount is that it ought to be reserved for
> things you aren't hitting with any frequency ie: not HOME.

My understanding was that home directories were the "killer app" for
automounting.  Nearly every example I've ever seen regarding automount
configuration included home directories.  As far as I know, the only
performance penalty you pay is the initial latency trying to access a
directory if it's not mounted.  After that (until it times out), it
functions like a regular NFS mount.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

> I have a gut feeling this may be a Java issue rather than specific to
> JBuilder itself.

It shouldn't even be that high up; it sounds more like a pure NFS issue,
but I'm not sure I have all the details straight.

I've used JBuilder in an automounted NFS environment, and everything
works pretty much as you'd expect.  Granted, neither RH9 nor Irix were
involved.

> When I click on "myhome", the "+" goes away and I get nothing or it
> shows up as "myhome" ( no "+" ).  Only way I can get to files is to
> enter the fully qualified path, for instance to open the "javathing"
> project.
>
> /users/myhome/TESTING.d/JAVA.d/JavaThing.d/javathing.jpx

How does this compare to what `ls' would show you?  (try `ls /users',
`ls /users/myhome', `ls /users/myhome/TESTING.d', etc.) After the
directory is mounted, its contents should show up, i.e., if you make
sure /users/myhome is mounted (with, say, ls or cd), then do Open
File..., TESTING.d and everything below it should show up.  Does this
not happen?

-rick