[svlug] Red Hat pulls plugs on Red Hat Linux product line

Kim kim at linuxpuppy.net
Wed Nov 5 13:54:51 PST 2003

I havent seen any gentoo equiv of linuxconf with gentoo, but that dosent mean
there isn't a similar beast.

If you install gentoo from stage one, by the time you're done I doubt you
would need a gui tool to config the system. You might want to go and grab the
gentoo install docs from http://www.gentoo.org and read through them to get
an idea of what you're getting into. (they are long, but very well written)

But don't expect the install can be done in a day. (maybe it can) But my last
gentoo install took about a week for me to get everything setup and tweaked
to my idea of what a PC should be like.

A hint: plan on installing things like kde, gnome or open-office just before
you go to bed and check in the morning if everything compiled correctly.

Also, pay extra attention to setting up your USE flags. It's easy to waste a
lot of time building a botched system if you mess up here. Take extra care
also when you config your kernal. This is another sticky place that folks
mess up when first trying gentoo. If you're not comfy building kernals, do a
bunch of reading kernal docs to get the idea of whats what.

If all else fails, search the gentoo forum for an answer. or join the gentoo
irc group on freenode.net. Last I was there, there were over 600 people in
the forum to ask for help. You'll find some real brains there who are more
than willing to help out.

btw: "hand tweaking config files" is a big part of what gentoo is all about.
You should get very comfy with a text editor right from day one cuz you'll be
using it a LOT.

With all those resources available, its hard to imagine anyone not being able
to be sucessful with gentoo. Go for it !!! (you'll never look back)

Kim