[svlug] Red Hat pulls plugs on Red Hat Linux product line

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Nov 4 21:24:49 PST 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 16:34:19 -0800
Joe Buck <jbuck at synopsys.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 01:16:58PM -0800, David E. Weekly wrote:

> Also, Debian's processes, while admirable in many ways, are SLOW (one
> reason for unavoidable slowness is the need to support 11
> architectures, some of which have very slow CPUs that take days to
> build a tiny subset of the packages).

Debian's packaging process is very nippy.  Just look for instance at how
quickly things appear in and are updated in /experimental, /unstable, or
/testing.  The release cycle is slow, yes.  Then again I'm quite
convinced that a release cycle is one of the more useless things a
distribution can engage in.  What's interesting is a gradated scale of
package trust levels, not arbitrary framing markers.

> Fedora will consistently have newer software available to end-users
> and supported in the Debian sense (that is, while there will no longer
> be paid support, there will be a large team of engineers fixing bugs).

Newer than /unstable or /testing?

--
J C Lawrence