[svlug] Red Hat pulls plugs on Red Hat Linux product line

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Nov 4 21:15:12 PST 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 14:02:49 -0800
David Hummel <ddhummel at pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 04:14:16PM -0500, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 13:10:30 -0800, David E Weekly <david at weekly.org>
>> wrote:

> As I understand it so far, the Fedora project is not attempting to
> clone Debian, but rather to incorporate some of the best tools from
> Debian (apt, etc.), which seems like a good thing.

Right, but they are doing that without attempting to fix the
shortcomings of the RPM package format or SysAdm tools.

> I'm not sure about the "design traits" you are referring to.
> Hopefully it will be a best-of-both-worlds type of situation, which
> remains to be seen.

Debian is a curious beast.  Like most such it survives because of and
and in spite of its many failings.  It is precisely because it is so
broken as a political system that it works so well.

--
J C Lawrence