[svlug] Red Hat pulls plugs on Red Hat Linux product line

Kim kim at linuxpuppy.net
Tue Nov 4 19:14:50 PST 2003

Hi Gary;

I can't speak of Fedora (never heard of it untill today), but I can say I've
been using Gentoo since 1.1 (now 1.4)  and I can't say a discouraging word
about it.

In fact, it teaches you more during the install than a year using any canned
distro. You pretty much end up with the same customised thing you get if you
went with LFS. But with some of the jagged (LFS) install edges sanded down a
bit. (I'm talking of a stage 1 Gentoo install)

And for as long as I've been using Gentoo, I've NEVER had a crash. I can't say
that about most of the other distros I've had the pleasure of trying.

Gary, all the services you mention can be set-up and used with Gentoo. Quite
easily, and with no cost, and with a HUGE user base active in both the Gentoo
forums and Gentoo mailing list. I'd recomend the forum. If you have a
problem, chances are someone else has had it too and a solution has been
posted.

Kim