[svlug] Red Hat @ Linux Desktop

James Leone linuxcpa at netscape.net
Tue Nov 4 16:16:30 PST 2003

I saw this in another forum, so I am posting it here.

I just have to say that I disagree with what they have to say here.  My
guess is that there was too much of an emphasis on consulting for
revenue generation, rather then just making the product less manual out
of the box. That was the main reason I dropped Red Hat for SuSE as my
primary system.

I also feel that Red Hat should point its users towards another
distribution, rather then endorsing Windows. Mandrake is a good
distribution, made a lot of progress, much more user friendly for the
masses then I ever thought Red Hat was, but is hurting financially.
  They would be good sports in pointing their desktop customers that way
instead, so that the company can get on their feet. Stop the free
downloads of Mandrake. Debian, ok, its built by users, so it should be
gratis to users.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39117575,00.htm