[svlug] Red Hat pulls plugs on Red Hat Linux product line

Kim kim at linuxpuppy.net
Tue Nov 4 18:33:07 PST 2003

I've been pretty distracted today and haven't had much time to research.

In a nutshell, can you tell me if Fedora will be RPM or APT based. (or both?)

RPM is pretty cool, but I think APT is a few notches above RPM. Even if only
for its automatid grabbing of dependencies vs RedHats giving you a warning of
other rpm's you have to hunt down and install first ( and THEIR) dependencies
too.

But I think that Gentoo Linux has the best and easiest method (Portage) for
keeping your penguin up to date. I'd also recommend that you use
"checkinstall" in replacement of "make install" when you build a downloaded
tarball.

This results in the package source being built and the resulting files
automagicly turned into a (binary) RPM customized for your computer. It also
installs (unless you use --noinstall) the resulting RPM onto your system.

This really alleviates the issue of reading the ./makefile.*(s) to find out
what files went where on your disk when you want to clean up. Note: config
files aren't usually deleted if they have been modified . (Cool if you
install a newer package later.)

So to view all the packages you've installed from a source tarball that aren't
available as an ebuild in the Gentoo source tree, just use the RPM command:

rpm -qa

This will show all of the "non-gentoo" progs you have installed and they can
be upgraded or removed by rpm -Uvh {filename} or rpm -e {filename} .

Shoot... I'm rambeling.

Peace;

Kim