[svlug] Red Hat pulls plugs on Red Hat Linux product line

David Hummel ddhummel at pacbell.net
Tue Nov 4 14:02:49 PST 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 04:14:16PM -0500, J C Lawrence wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 13:10:30 -0800, David E Weekly <david at weekly.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Kim, As far as I understand it, Fedora is a wholesale update of
> > RedHat 9. It simply won't be available in boxes at Fry's and you
> > can't buy support for it. There will be automatic updates,
> > everything will still be RPM'ed, and it should be possible to
> > upgrade to Fedora from previous versions of RedHat.
>
> In short, Fedora is an attempt to clone Debian without bothering to
> pick up the design traits that make Debian so attractive and useful.

As I understand it so far, the Fedora project is not attempting to clone
Debian, but rather to incorporate some of the best tools from Debian
(apt, etc.), which seems like a good thing.  I'm not sure about the
"design traits" you are referring to.  Hopefully it will be a
best-of-both-worlds type of situation, which remains to be seen.

David Hummel
Genomics & Gene Discovery
WRRC/ARS/USDA