[svlug] DVD burner question

Kim kim at linuxpuppy.net
Tue Nov 4 13:09:32 PST 2003

Hi Scott;

Was the second time you tried burning a dvd on exactly the same kind/brand of
media? Like another blank dvd from the same box as the first one? Are you
using RW media without formatting it first?

I've been messing around with the dvd burner for the past few days and have
managed to make it do everything I expected (and more). I did make a few
coasters but now everything is perfect.

I'm using the HP writer (300i) and its only 50 bucks more than the Polaroid
and I feel pretty confident saying that it works fine with Linux. It comes
with one dvd+rw. I got a fifty pack of Fujifilm dvd+r blank media for about
sixty dollars. Thats just a bit over a buck-a-disk and not as painfull when
you burn a coaster. And the burner seems very happy with them.

I've even been able to make backups of the dvd9 movies I own onto dvd5 media
in under two hours without loosing the dvd menus. Transcode can do this too,
but the procedure is more complicated and takes just a bit longer than
forever.

Anyway, good luck with replacing your burner. I know what a pain it is to
return something to Frys.

Kim