[svlug] DVD burner question

Scott Hess scott at doubleu.com
Tue Nov 4 00:06:38 PST 2003

So, I spoke too soon.  Last weekend, I tried writing a DVD+RW data iso,
fine, fine, then I tried a DVD-R data iso, fine, fine.  Basically just a
very large CD-R.  Having "proven"  that things were working, I let it
hang.

This past weekend, I couldn't write DVD-R or +RW.  I can write CD-R's, no
problem at all, just works.  Reading anything seems to work fine.  DVD-R
or +RW says "Unit won't start: "  followed by hex digits, and "unsupported
MMC profile 0".  No reboots, no changes at all (it took a week to try
another disk because I haven't had time for such fun).

As a sanity check, I installed Win95 on a spare box, but the drivers
wouldn't install (DVD box claims win95 support, "Roxio Easy DVD/CD
Creator" says it doesn't support Windows 98 Gold, whatever that might be).
That felt good.

Oh, well, I guess I get to wait in line at Fry's, tomorrow.  Now I have to
consider whether this was a fluke, and I can go ahead and grab a generic
$100 drive, or whether I should consider getting a brand name drive with
long Linux pedigree.  The latter doesn't generally pay in the CD-R world,
but it's still early for DVD-R.

Later,
scott