[svlug] Linux + NFS + JBuilder

Ian MacLure ibm1130 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 3 11:44:27 PST 2003

I have a new Linux box ( Dell650N + RH9 ) I'm trying
to integrate
into the office computing environment.
In short my HOME directory is served via NFS from an
SGI IRIX
server.
For reasons best known to himself and in contravention
to what
I learned in SGI NEtwork class many years ago, our
ex-SA had
the NFS stuff automounting.
My understanding of automount is that it ought to be
reserved
for things you aren't hitting with any frequency ie:
not HOME.

Specifically my problem is with file/project open
dialogs in JBuilder.

Anyhow, what happens when I try to open an existing
project is
that the open dialog shows:

         /users
               +hishome
               +myhome
               +herhome
               +...

When I click on the other directories under /user (
hishome, etc )
I get more subdirectories as expected.
When I click on "myhome", the "+" goes away and I get
nothing
or it shows up as "myhome" ( no "+" ).
Only way I can get to files is to enter the fully
qualified path,
for instance to open the "javathing" project.

/users/myhome/TESTING.d/JAVA.d/JavaThing.d/javathing.jpx

Any ideas what might be the problem?

We tried going to a regular NFS mount but that didn't
change the situation.

I have a gut feeling this may be a Java issue rather
than specific to
JBuilder itself.

Thanx....

        IBM