[svlug] Debian and X windows

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Mon Nov 3 11:32:53 PST 2003

Karl Larsen wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, J C Lawrence wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 05:54:00 -0700 (MST)
>>Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Yesterday I d/l the latest debian called woody. I got 2 cd-roms of
>>>data and some docs (there are 7 cd-rom files total). The docs say that
>>>most of what you need is on cd-rom number 1.
>>
>>If you're on a broadband connection the usual best course is to use the
>>minimal installation CD (see the beloe URL), just the first CD or one of
>>the BBCs to get the base tarball installed and then suck all the rest of
>>the packages directly from the 'net via apt-get.
>
> 	I saw that method in the docs, and it would be the best if I
> want to dive off the edge into debian. But I am not ready for that.

   if you just want to try it out try knoppix, it's live CD that is
based on debian. If you like it you can install it on HD.

   otherwise it's much easier to go with network install, that way you
only donwload what you need, instead of two CDs worth of packages that
you are not going to use and that are already obsolete (or soon will be)
and you'll have to download the upgrades anyway...

> 	That said, I know the X windows software from MIT is available
> and if your a talented linux user you can get it working. Most of us are
> not.

   it used to be a fairly esoteric process but today it is fairly easy
to install X - you need to know which card.chipset you have and specs of
your monitor (found in user manual, on back of the monitor or by X (for
monitors that support edid, I don't know about the details)

   you don't need to specify the modelines anymore

	erik