[svlug] Debian and X windows

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Nov 3 11:04:34 PST 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:33:51 -0700 (MST)
Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, J C Lawrence wrote:
>> On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 05:54:00 -0700 (MST) Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com>
>> wrote:

>> If you're on a broadband connection the usual best course is to use
>> the minimal installation CD (see the beloe URL), just the first CD or
>> one of the BBCs to get the base tarball installed and then suck all
>> the rest of the packages directly from the 'net via apt-get.

> I saw that method in the docs, and it would be the best if I want to
> dive off the edge into debian. But I am not ready for that.

<nod> Sounds fair.  Note that you'll now spend considerable time, quite
possibly more than it took for the CD, sucking down the various package
updates etc which form the current state of whichever release level you
decide to track (stable, testing, unstable, etc).

I normally track /testing.

>> What gave you that idea?

> I have helped several people get debian running and without exception
> they are not using X windows.

<shrug>

I suspect the percentages are higher for Debian than they are for say RH
or RH, but are lower than the percentages for the *BSDs, and Slackware.
That said I only know of one Debian user whose desktop doesn't run X11.

> That said, I know the X windows software from MIT is available and if
> your a talented linux user you can get it working. Most of us are not.

Ptui.

# apt-get install xserver-xfree86

The Q&A should get you a working installation unless you are running
fringe hardware.

--
J C Lawrence