[svlug] Debian and X windows

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Mon Nov 3 10:33:51 PST 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 05:54:00 -0700 (MST)
> Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>
> > Yesterday I d/l the latest debian called woody. I got 2 cd-roms of
> > data and some docs (there are 7 cd-rom files total). The docs say that
> > most of what you need is on cd-rom number 1.
>
> If you're on a broadband connection the usual best course is to use the
> minimal installation CD (see the beloe URL), just the first CD or one of
> the BBCs to get the base tarball installed and then suck all the rest of
> the packages directly from the 'net via apt-get.

	I saw that method in the docs, and it would be the best if I
want to dive off the edge into debian. But I am not ready for that.

>   http://www.debian.org/CD/
>
> > My question is, which cd-rom has X windows and why do most debian
> > users not use X windows?
>
> What gave you that idea?

	I have helped several people get debian running and without
exception they are not using X windows.

	That said, I know the X windows software from MIT is available
and if your a talented linux user you can get it working. Most of us are
not.

> > I have cd #1 and #2. It takes 6 hours to d/l one cd-rom.
>
> I'm going to guess that you weren't using jigdo:

	That is right. I used gFTP and it ran fine from the USC mirror.