[svlug] Debian and X windows

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Nov 3 08:54:14 PST 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 05:54:00 -0700 (MST)
Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:

> Yesterday I d/l the latest debian called woody. I got 2 cd-roms of
> data and some docs (there are 7 cd-rom files total). The docs say that
> most of what you need is on cd-rom number 1.

If you're on a broadband connection the usual best course is to use the
minimal installation CD (see the beloe URL), just the first CD or one of
the BBCs to get the base tarball installed and then suck all the rest of
the packages directly from the 'net via apt-get.

  http://www.debian.org/CD/

> My question is, which cd-rom has X windows and why do most debian
> users not use X windows?

What gave you that idea?

> I have cd #1 and #2. It takes 6 hours to d/l one cd-rom.

I'm going to guess that you weren't using jigdo:

  http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/

More typically I grab ISOs from:

  http://www.linuxiso.org/

--