[svlug] SCO hints at harassing Linus himself

Jean-Marc Libs libs at noos.fr
Sat May 31 03:46:33 PDT 2003

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:

> Here in Europe our parlment is discussing about patents on software.
> A law will soon be approved and it seems that IBM and others lobbied to
> make that law as much restrictive as possible.

By "restrictive", you actually mean that they want to lift any
restrictions on patenting software.

> Our representatives asked to show concrete cases where such a law may
> produce damages to economy in EU or they won't accept any amendment.
>
> I would think that SCO is a clear example of how such kind of laws can
> jeopardize the market.

I'm not sure SCO is about patents. They all talk about "IP rights",
but whenever something concrete is mentioned, it's about "copying
code", which is a copyright issue.
Copying proprietary code into linux without having the copyright on the
code is obviously wrong, whatever the laws currently or locally say,
but SCO still has to prove that anything of the like happened.

Most people confuse patents, copyrights and trademarks, and talking
broadly about Intellectual Property as the pro-SWpatents do just
helps confuse the issue. You can't get this wrong in the parliament
discussions because the people on the other side are mainly lawyers
and will quickly point out that you are wrong.

I'm sure there are better examples, such as Unisys on gif, RSA,
< someone fills the blank :-D >

Jean-Marc Libs