[svlug] Adding environment variable to a shell and it's

Mike Castle dalgoda at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 30 17:51:12 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 04:54:48PM -0700, Roland Krause wrote:
> Under the "evil" OS there is a way to set environment variables. In the
> worst case one has to relogin to make them active. Something like that
> was what I was looking for.

It depends on what you're talking about here, really.

Take services, for example.

If you change and ENVVAR that a service uses, you have to reboot for it to
take effect. (Some applications will actually read and parse the registry
rather than environment variables to get around this issue).

If you have an app that runs on your desk top, then you should be able to
edit whatever sets environment variables in your set up (.login, .xinit,
whatever) and do a logout/login, just like win32.

But if you have an app that is really a boot time service, then, like
windows, you'll probably require a reboot.  (Well, you could stop/start the
service manually, but you've already stated you didn't want to use a
shell.)

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda at ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/